Sunday, November 7, 2010

Want a strong ankle, back torso and toned tummy?





                               Picture taken from Yoga Journal magazine (Feb 2010) issue


My yoga pose of the month - Garland Pose (Malasana)

Do you know that squatting is an extremely good exercise for us ladies? It actually helps to strengthen your ankle, groins and back torso. It also tones “the protruding belly” meaning the big tummy… ;-)

In the olden days, our moms, grandmothers and great grandmothers used to get plenty of such beneficial exercises whenever they go to the toilet (in those days there were no toilet bowl to sit on, remember?) and when they need to do house chores in the kitchen or in the bathroom (like washing, etc).

Does the pose look too difficult to execute?

Here, do a modified garland pose (aka squatting pose).







Ensure you keep your back straight and look straight ahead. Breathe deep and slow. 


It’s an easy pose to do. You can do it while watching TV for a minute or two at the beginning, increasing the duration each time.




--moon

2 comments:

  1. So excited to see the garland pose! I have been working on perfecting this pose for a while now. This exact photo was featured in my Yoga Journal magazine. I am getting better with time. I love my yoga practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that! I love this pix! It truly inspires me.

    It does look extremely difficult to execute tho, and personally I'm just doing the easy squat pose for now. Might target doing the actual garland pose by next year.. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails